Sunday, September 29, 2013

What I'm Reading






I've been a busy little reader. And while my "read" list is ever-growing, my "to-read" list doesn't seem to budge. Hmmmmm.....

The Red Garden (Alice Hoffman)
Fall Book Club Read

By far this has been my favorite recent read. It's comprised of short-story like chapters depicting a small town in Massachusetts and its inhabitants spanning a few centuries, from it's founding in 1750 to (what seems) present day. The way the stories are set-up allows for easy reading before bed and doesn't necessarily require you to remember everything about each character or scenario. It's much easier for me to pick out the one story I didn't care for verses trying to decided among many which is my favorite. Hoffman's writing is intriguing and unforgettable. I definitely suggest picking up this read!


City of Bones (Cassandra Clare)
The first book in the Mortal Instruments series

Ugh. I read the first and second installments in this YA-Stephenie-Meyer's-world-meets-Buffy-and-other-creatures-of-the-night-stuff series, and while it's better than Twilight, it's not by much. I recommend skipping this series and just watching the movie (although I'm forgoing that as well; it barely made anything in theaters). I find it hard to believe Clare still has a plot for a sixth book.

Mr. & Mrs. Fitzwilliam Darcy (Sharon Lathan)
The entire Darcy Saga, books #1-5
Re-read #1-2.

This saga is definite fluff when it comes to my reading shelf. I normally don't like when other authors carry on someone else's story, adding more to beloved characters. However, as I said this is fluff reading, and it entertains me when I'm in the mood for something quick, easy, and light. And who doesn't want to hear more about Mr. Darcy and his beautiful estate? Yet, while entertaining and very corny, Lathan does give the leading man characteristics I'm positive Austen would find disapproving. But, you must take it for what it is. Fluff.


The Duck Commander Family
(Willie & Korie Robertson)

This show. I can't get enough. It cracks me up. The Robertson's crack me up. It's nice to see fame and fortune don't always change people. I've never been a huge fan of Willie; he seems whiny and self-absorbed on the show. But reading about his life, values, faith, and determination was inspiring and, I'll admit, quite surprising. I learned a few things I didn't know, as well, and am looking forward to reading Phil's book Happy, Happy Happy.

White Jacket Required: A Culinary Coming-of-Age Story (Jenna Weber)

I've been a follower of Jenna's blog, Eat, Live, Run, for a few years now and was extremely happy for her when her book was published. (I'm just so sad it took me this long to finally get a hold of it!) Reading about her culinary school and life experiences was enlightening, inspiring, and motivational. Her writing is very straight-forward, not groundbreaking or anything, but heartfelt and full of truth, doubt and, at times, pain.

And here's a sneak peek at my "research" pile. I enjoy learning about food, the body, nutrition, and what diets are current fads. I like to know my stuff, and while I never diet myself, I'm constantly changing up my own eating habits...to keep my metabolism guessing, when my food seems too routine, when I'm bored, or want to try something new. Plus, I like the challenge. I finished 5:2 and VB6 and discovered I already use a combination of these "diets" in my own lifestyle. Kudos to me.

Have you read any good books lately? Share your good reads below!

With Love and God Bless,
Brindi

No comments:

Post a Comment