Thursday, June 26, 2014

Breakfast+Snack+Treat All in One

Well, hello!


[Whenever I say that, I always picture Robin Williams in Mrs. Doubtfire when he sticks his face in the whipped cream (I think it is?) so his ex-wife won't recognize him. And I say it like he does, "Well, hellooooooo!" I can't help it, my cousins and I were huge fans of that movie.]

Hmmm, anyhoo, I threw a bunch of ingredients in a bowl and discovered a quick and versatile treat.


This Breakfast Cookie came about because I was really, really annoyed with how quickly my bananas ripened. Most people prefer this; however, I do not. I strongly do not. I can't even stomach a banana if there are any brown spots, let alone stand the smell. And my kitchen reeked of overripe bananas. Something needed to be done immediately. So instead of tossing them like I occasionally do, I decided to mash them in a bowl and do something with them....?

At 10 o'clock last night, I searched what ingredients I had on hand and added some oats, nut butter, and chocolate chips. I was aiming for a breakfast bar. The mixture wasn't as thick as I intended, and rather than add more oats, I opted for some flax seed. Alas, my kitchen was sans flax seed. No problem, cookies it is!

These cookies are great. Fantastic. Healthy. Transportable. Delicious with just the right amount of sweetness to make you feel as if you're indulging. I was so thrilled with the turnout, I hadn't realized I'd already eaten three of the little gems until I went to take a photo. Soooo good. And the best part, store them in the freezer, and grab one when ya need it! It's as simple as that. You might want to make a double batch.


Perfect for breakfast, they remind me a little of baked oatmeal. A great snack throughout the day. Or as a guilt-free late-night treat. This morning I enjoyed one crumbled up on top of my plain Greek yogurt with berries. I felt a little indulgent. Awesome start to my day. :)

Breakfast Cookies

Makes 13 cookies

2 very ripe bananas
1 c quick-cooking oats (or rolled if it's what you have on hand; I did a combination in mine.)
1/3 c dark chocolate chips (or semi-sweet)
1 heaping T raw almond butter (or whatever nut butter fits your fancy)

Preheat oven 350 degrees. With a fork, mash the bananas in a medium bowl. Stir in the oats, chocolate chips, and nut butter. Scoop batter onto a baking tray, making scoops as round as possible.

Bake 12-15 minutes. Remove from pan and cool completely. In a tight container, store in fridge or freezer. (I prefer mine straight from the freezer, no need to thaw!) *Note: this recipe is quite easy to make gluten free and vegan.

Nutritional Information (per cookie): 44 Calories, 1 Fat, 1 Sugar, 3 Fiber, 2 Protein


With Love and God Bless,
Brindi

No comments:

Post a Comment