Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Apricot Kielbasa Slices with Sweet Potato Fries + the Perfect Dipping Sauce

I am feeling fall, fall, and more fall over here, which makes these two recipes perfect for this time of year because they highlight the color orange. And orange is everywhere these days. If you don't see it out your front door right now, check back tomorrow! :)



These two recipes are courtesy of Cooking Club (recently highlighted here), theme: the color ORANGE. Given the season, I feel it's quite appropriate to share my favorite dishes from that gathering. A Cooking Club meeting which actually generated a meal Mr. B would enjoy. A definite plus, my friends.


Y'all, I don't think I've met an easier supper that tasted like it took an awfully long time to make. I remember thinking, back when I first tasted this kielbasa, this was extremely tasty. It tasted like it'd been simmering all day long on the stove. I knew I must snag a few leftovers for Mr. B. Good thing, too, because he enjoyed it so much and requested it again a week later. Except when I make it for us, I don't use quite the full jar of preserves. We like it not as sweet, letting the flavor of the sausage come through a bit more.

But these fries! Alas, there were no fries to bring home to share. But since then, I make these sweet fries all the time. A perfect way to get a healthier fries fix. And, again, we don't like them too sweet, so I halve the sugar called for.


Plus, a short bout under the broiler makes them extra crispy. A favorite finger food on game days. Perfect with or without the sauce, but Mr. B is a huge fan of his dips, so give it a try. The lime in the yogurt sauce complements the sweetness of the fries quite well. Oh, and the sauce makes enough for a double batch of fries!


Apricot Kielbasa Slices with Sweet Potato Fries & Dipping Sauce
*recipe courtesy of my friends Kelly and Jenny

Serves 4 (with big side salad)

For the kielbasa:
1 lb kielbasa sausage, thinly sliced
1 (12-oz) jar apricot preserves
2 T lemon juice
2 t Dijon mustard
1/4 tsp ground ginger

In a large skillet, brown sausage, drain, and set aside on a plate. Add remaining ingredients to skillet. Cook over low heat , 2-3 minutes or until heated through and thickened, stirring occasionally. Return sausage to pan. Cook 5-6 minutes or until heated through. Serve warm.

For the fries:
2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled, and cut into spears
2 T olive oil
1 T light brown sugar
1/2 t kosher salt, plus extra for sprinkling
1 t ground black pepper (recipe actually calls for 1/2 t, but I love pepper on my fries)

Preheat oven 450 degrees. Line a baking sheet with foil; grease with cooking spray. Place potato spears in ice water for 3-5 minutes to blanch. Blot with paper towel and place spears on prepared sheet, tossing with olive oil. Spread into a single layer. Combine  sugar, salt, and pepper; sprinkle on potatoes. (I didn't use this entire mixture on mine.) Bake 15 minutes, then turn fries with spatula. Bake another 10-15 minutes, or until lightly browned and crispy. (I like mine extra crispy, so I turn on the broiler for a few minutes.) Sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper, if desired.

For the honey-lime dipping sauce:
6 oz plain Greek yogurt
1 T mayo
1/ T honey
1 T fresh lime juice
1/4 t cumin
1/8 t oregano
1 t parsley
1/2 t onion powder
1/2 t kosher salt

Mix all ingredients until well combined. Chill until ready to serve. Easy-peasy.



With Love and God Bless,
Brindi

No comments:

Post a Comment