Friday, October 16, 2015

A Simple Egg Hash for Dinner


To be completely honest, a breakfast hash is my secret to getting dinner on the table and getting dinner on the table FAST. Actually, come to think about it, we never really have a hash meal for breakfast. My hash dinners consist of whatever I have in the fridge or on my counter at the time, so each meal tends to be different. With that being said, the four ingredients I always toss in the pan are a meat, a potato, greens, and veggies. When finished add an egg on top (however you like your egg best), and VOILA! Dinner is served.

These meals work best on nights when I walk through the door around 6 p.m. and find Mr. B raiding the fridge because he's starving. On those evenings I know the skillet is coming out and we'll be sitting down to dinner in 30 minutes.

One thing I want to point out is I did struggle with my potatoes. Potatoes can take FOREVER and a day to cook! But last Christmas, my grandma gave each grandchild this cloth-contraption-thingy that cooks potatoes PERFECTLY, and I'm not exaggerating here, in the microwave in less than eight minutes. It's perfect for baked potatoes, and I promise, you will have the fluffiest spud ever. So on days when I'm in a hurry (like for my hash dinners), I throw a few washed potatoes in the contraption sack and under-cook them, about 5 minutes in the microwave. By the time the meat and veggies are cooked, the potatoes are ready to add to the pan for crisping.


Y'all NEED one of these! And I apologize because I have no idea where she purchased it. I think she said she bought them in Amish country. Those Amish really know their potatoes!

Egg Hash Dinner
Serves however many mouths you need to feed

*Adjust the ingredients to fit the number of servings needed and the ingredients in your fridge.

Chicken or vegetable broth
Baby red potatoes, slightly under-cooked
Sliced mushrooms
Chopped bell peppers
Chopped onion
a big container of kale
Kielbasa
Eggs, over-easy (1-2 per person)
hot sauce, for drizzling (optional)

In a large skillet, saute mushrooms, onions, and bell peppers in broth until desired crispness is reached (add more broth as needed). When vegetables have 2-3 minutes to go, add in kale, potatoes and kielbasa. Cook until warmed through, a bit crispy, and kale has wilted down. There are two ways to cook the eggs: Cook them in a separate pan the way you prefer, whether scrambled, poached, or sunny-side-up, etc., and then add on top once hash is plated. The other way I like to cook them with this meal is in the same skillet. I make little pockets by scooting the vegetables and meat to the side and cracking the egg over the holes in the skillet (this can also be done in a ramekin and then poured into the made holes). With the heat on low, cover the skillet and allow the eggs to cook to preferred liking. Serve on plates immediately. We like ours drizzled with a little Red Hot.

With Love and God Bless,
Brindi

No comments:

Post a Comment