Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Dessert of the Month

Earlier this month we celebrated a milestone over here. It was my father's 50th birthday.


Way back in July, Mama and I decided we were going to plan a big surprise party for Daddy. To say he never makes a "big deal" out of his birthday is putting it nicely lightly, cough, cough. It's a man thing, I know. My husband's the same way....remember his milestone, the big 3-0. My father is the silent type, not quite anti-social, but he's very content in relaxing at home. Everyone in the family is well aware of this, so you can imagine the plotting and planning that went into his party, which we set for a few weeks after his birthday so he wouldn't suspect a thing....but that is for another post.*


This post is all about this delicious chocolate cake, which I made for my father to celebrate his 50th. The entire family was getting together for a good ol' family reunion a few days before his birthday. Even though we were planning this big surprise party, Mama knew we had to do something ("it's his 50th, for crying out loud") or he would suspect something was, indeed, UP. So she called me a week before asking if I could make a chocolate cake, a little "surprise" to acknowledge his day. 

Yes, of course. If there was only one word I could use to describe my father when it comes to anything food-related, it would be chocoholic. When I first saw this recipe I knew it had my father's name all over it, and it included wine. Hello. Celebration right there.

I am serious as a heart attack when I say this is the only chocolate cake I will make. When I want sugar and I'm celebrating and not interested in being super healthy, this is it. When someone requests a chocolate cake, this Chocolate Cake with Pinot Noir Frosting is what they'll get. Ah-mazingly moist. Simple. Perfection. My only complaint, if you will, is the frosting is a tad too sweet for my liking....for Daddy, it was perfect. The wine is only in the frosting, which I might change up the next time I make it by adding it to the actual cake instead of the vanilla. Everyone thought there was espresso in the cake, and there wasn't (but I like that idea, definitely...). I think it was the Pinot Noir enhancing the chocolate. The frosting was fluffy and beautiful though. And, as Jenna stated in her post, the cake is so light it just goes down too easy.

A hands-down-winner, my friends.


Happy 50th, Daddy! You definitely don't look it :)


Since this cake was for Daddy and it was his 50th, I didn't health-ify it. My only changes consisted of a mix between white and whole wheat pastry flours, 1 flax egg, and 4 1/2 cups of the powdered sugar. And maybe a few more splashes of wine ;)

Seriously, check out this delicious chocolate cake! Well done, Jenna.




Yes, this cake is fabulous. Perfect for the chocolate-lover in your life.

*More on Daddy's surprise party later!

**BY THE WAY, IT'S NATIONAL CAPS LOCK DAY. BUT I FIGURED AN ENTIRE POST IN ALL CAPS WOULD A) STOP YOU FROM READING IT, AND B) MAKE YOU  WANT TO PUNCH ME IN THE FACE. YOU'RE WELCOME.

With Love and God Bless,
Brindi

No comments:

Post a Comment