Saturday, August 30, 2014

Double Coconut Strawberry Smoothie


It was quite chilly here a week or so ago. Like low of 40 at night chilly. Thoughts of fall, boots, football, festivals, and all things pumpkin were filling my brain. I even started preparations for my seasonal wardrobe swap (more on that later). But, alas, it's nearing 90 degrees today. Summer is sticking it out. This means I'm still on my cold smoothie kick and not ready yet for my warm bowl of oatmeal in the mornings.


This smoothie was my go-to breakfast a few weeks ago. I couldn't get enough. I'm that kind of person. When I find something new and tasty, I eat nothing else until I'm sick of it. Which, by the way, usually lasts about two weeks. Afterwards (read: a month or so later), I come back to it occasionally, rotating it through my weekly meal menus.


This is the perfect smoothie for fresh and beautiful strawberries. (Or if out of season, the frozen berries work just as well, usually adding more flavor and color.) The perfect smoothie to satisfy your coconut oil addiction. Oh, wait. Is that just me? I am addicted. I want coconut oil EVERYTHING. In my cooking, baking, health and beauty care. You name it, I will find a way to use coconut oil for it. (FYI, it works wonders on mosquito bites and burns. Trust me, I know.) However, Mr. B cringed the other night when he saw me using it as lotion. Yet I'm the one with amazingly soft skin, not him. I'm pretty sure this is a great addiction. I'm buying the jars in surplus now (or at least begging my friend to because Trader Joe's is too far away!!!! <--- adult tantrum). I digress. Back to this yummy smoothie. Tons of flavor. Try it, please!

As I always say, everything in moderation, right? Well, once the [short] initial obsession wears thin. YUM.


Double Coconut Strawberry Smoothie

Serves 1

1 c coconut water
1 c strawberries, chopped (fresh or frozen, if using frozen ice is optional)
1 T flaxseed or chia seeds
1 T coconut oil
1 T plain Greek yogurt
Handful of ice
Optional: 1 scoop soy vanilla protein powder (when I have it on hand)

Place all ingredients in a blender; mix until smooth consistency. Devour!

Nutritional information (with protein powder): 378 Calories, 18 Fat, 30 Protein, 5 Fiber, 19 Sugar


Pssttt....IT'S GAME DAY. Go Bucks! Go Flashes!

With Love and God Bless,
Brindi

No comments:

Post a Comment