Monday, December 22, 2014

Triple Chocolate Cookies

I have been making these melt-in-your-mouth health-ified chocolate beauties for years.


And besides these Chocolate Chili Cranberry Cookies, this chocolate cookie is my close second favorite. I first discovered this cookie when perusing the internet for something chocolate-y to add to my Christmas baking. I found this instant winner, and since then have made my own healthy substitutions. However, it's been a while since I indulged in these, and after looking at this season's baking list, I knew I needed at least one chocolate cookie and dug out my recipe.


The best way to devour eat these bite-size cookies are straight from the oven when they're warm and gooey. YUM-O. Just try not to scorch your tongue. A couple of seconds in the microwave is a great substitute for when you shouldn't eat them all straight from the baking sheet because you need to make a pretty platter to take to Grandpa's Christmas and everybody is depending on you to bring a cookie platter with at least one chocolate cookie. Oh, and if you don't want to spend the rest of the holiday season in your yoga pants because none of your jeans fit.

Wait... who doesn't want this? Yoga pants are comfy. Yoga pants are acceptable. Yes, definitely. Sign me up for that.


But, hey, these are "health-ified," remember? You can eat the whole sheet and probably still fit into those jeans. And, trust me, you will be tempted to eat more than one, or five. The gooey chocolate just oozing out of the cookie. A soft not-too-sweet treat with rich dark chocolate chunks. I won't blame you if you lick the pan. Just let it cool first, 'kay?

Black Bean Triple Chocolate Cookies
*adapted from Ellie Krieger's recipe

Yields: 2 dozen cookies

1/4 c coconut oil, softened (or the original recipe's 1/4 c unsalted butter, I vary this substitution)
1/2 c scant dark brown sugar
1/4 c scant granulated sugar
1/4 c plain Greek yogurt
1 flax egg (1 T flax seeds + 3 T water)
1 t vanilla extract
1/2 c black beans, pureed
1/2 c whole wheat pastry flour
1/4 c unsweetened cocoa powder (Trader Joe's is my favorite, of course)
1/3 c dark chocolate, chopped
1/3 c semi-sweet chocolate, chopped


Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl, cream together the butter (or oil) and sugars until well combined. Add the yogurt and flax egg and beat until creamy. Mix in the vanilla. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour and cocoa powder. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix well. Stir in the black beans, mixing well. Then add in the chopped chocolate and mix well. Using a tablespoon, scoop the batter onto an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake for 12 minutes. Transfer cookies to a rack to cool.

Nutritional Information per cookie: 77 calories, 3 fat, 12 carbs, 1 fiber, 1 protein, 8 sugar


With Love and God Bless,
Brindi

No comments:

Post a Comment