Friday, January 24, 2014

What I'm Reading

Source: Good Reads
My last book review post didn't mention much about the fiction I read lately, so today I'm focusing on that genre specifically. This year I made it a goal of mine to read more juvenile books, that way I can attempt to keep up with the youth literature, both past and current, enabling me to be more efficient when answering reader's advisory questions...like when a parent is looking for a book for their child that's like The Hunger Games but not as violent, or Harry Potter read-alikes, or something with historical fiction, or something that has a "pig, but it's about Christmastime." Yes, I was asked that question, and yes, we actually had a Christmas book with a pig as the main character.

Code Name Verity (Elizabeth Wein)
Winter Book Club Read

When my friend, Jenny, mentioned to the group she wanted to read this title, I was all in. I heard great reviews from many people, and it was at the top of my to-read list. To be completely honest, I did not like it....at first. It's a young adult novel taking place during WWII, and the narrator has found herself on the wrong side. As a POW she fights to stay alive by confessing what she knows to her enemies. However, there are so many intricate details to aircraft parts and codes and other stuff that I sort of lost interest. Most of the time I felt I actually needed to see the plane in order to understand what she was talking about. Yet, I was interested in the ending, and I am sooooo happy I kept reading. I can't say much else because I risk spoiling it for ya, BUT I became absolutely speechless for a good five minutes towards the end. This is definitely worth picking up.


The Scorpio Races (Maggie Stiefvater)
Audio Book

Another YA (fantasy) novel I chose to listen to because it was an audio award-winner. I loved it! From the very first minutes I was captivated and couldn't wait to get into my car to listen to the next part. "It happens at the start of every November: the Scorpio Races. Riders attempt to keep hold of their water horses long enough to make it to the finish line. Some riders live. Others die." [Good Reads] One boy enters every year; it's expected of him. One girl, the first to be exact, finds herself entering because she's run out of options. Steve West and Fiona Hardingham do an amazing job at giving the characters their voice. I was completely enthralled with the story line and writing and character development, and everything just fit. Excellent, and I highly recommend! Bonus....the movie is scheduled to hit theaters next year :)


Alchemy and Meggy Swann (Karen Cushman)
Audio Book

Ye toads and vipers! Katherine Kellgren's narrative truly places you in the late 16th century in this entertaining story about a young girl (disabled by her 'crooked legs') and her relationship with her father, the alchemist, and those around her. At times I was inspired, appalled, and laughing out loud, yet connecting and rooting for the young heroine. This juvenile audio book will leave you with a smile.

Because I really enjoyed Cushman, I decided to pick up her Newbery Honor title, Catherine, Called Birdy in audio book as well. This story takes place in the late 13th century. It is nothing compared to Alchemy and Meggy Swann, and fell flat, while impressively boring me to death.

What good books have you read lately?

With Love and God Bless,
Brindi

No comments:

Post a Comment