Friday, February 21, 2014

Gnocchi Is My Favorite

I.cannot.get.enough.

When I discovered this tasty little gem about four years ago with this fantastic blue cheese sauce (click the link and scroll down that post to #7 January-Pasta for the recipe), all other pasta went out the window.

Potatoes and flour. The perfect combination of carbs and starch. YUM.

I can eat gnocchi any way except with marinara. I'm not sure why this is, but I don't like it. Browned butter, pesto, melted goat cheese, a little cream, and even plain, straight out of the boiling water, are all perfectly acceptable. I could eat gnocchi every day. However, Mr. B could take it or leave it. A few weeks ago when I made gnocchi with a little bit of browned butter and a sprinkle of cheese alongside some roasted zucchini, he said he preferred a little more sauce and cheese with his pasta. Last week I made him spaghetti and me this beautiful pesto gnocchi dish. Guess who gobbled up all my leftovers, preferring my gnocchi over his sauced and cheesed spaghetti?


I enjoy gnocchi tremendously because it's very versatile, it cooks up in just a few minutes, and it is actually quite easy and quick to make a batch of homemade gnocchi. But the packaged gnocchi makes for a very quick mid-week dinner. (Often I make a couple homemade batches and freeze, pulling out and thawing what I need in the morning for that night's dinner.) Bonus! This meal is a great way to use up leftover roasted vegetables, not that we ever have that problem....

Gnocchi with Sauteed Squash and Brussels Sprouts

serves 4 with a side salad
(*Note: if left alone, I could and will probably eat all of it)

1 (16 oz) pkg gnocchi
3 T (+ more as needed) vegetable broth (or chicken broth)
2 cloves garlic, minced
1-2 c Brussels sprouts, chopped
1 zucchini, sliced
1 yellow squash, sliced
salt and pepper
jar of pesto (or any homemade kind you might have on hand)
2 T grated Romano cheese (optional)

In a large pot, boil water and cook gnocchi according to package directions. Meanwhile, heat a skillet over medium-high heat. Once heated, add broth along with prepared vegetables and garlic. Saute until crisp and brightened in color, about 4-5 minutes (adding broth as needed). Season veggies with salt and pepper to taste. When gnocchi is ready, scoop out of water and directly into the pan with veggies. Add a scant 1/4 c of pasta water to pan as well. Add as much or as little pesto as you'd like; a spoonful or two is probably all you'll need. Mix thoroughly until heated through. Sprinkle with Romano cheese, if desired.


With Love and God Bless,
Brindi

No comments:

Post a Comment