Saturday, November 5, 2011

The 1950s




Marilyn Monroe declared to all that "Diamonds Are a Girl's Best Friend" in Gentlemen Prefer Blondes.
Dwight D. Eisenhower was our president.
Popular literature included classics like C. S. Lewis' The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, and J.D. Salinger's The Catcher in the Rye.
Elvis Presley became the leading figure of the newly popular sound of rock and roll.
Fashion centered around poodle skirts, two-piece swimsuits, halter-top summer dresses and short hair.
Jim Brown was drafted by the Cleveland Browns.

And, of course, there was Audrey Hepburn.

These were just a few staples of The Fifties. A decade I wish I could have lived in. So imagine my excitement when my co-worker, Jessica, decided to have a 1950s-themed party for her 30th birthday. (I know, I could barely contain myself either.)

Image Detail
Source
I couldn't wait to head into my closet to find the perfect outfit. Jessica, on the other hand, knew exactly what she wanted, and took to the Internet to find her perfect dress--a 1950's housewife inspiration from Vintage.com (I think), complete with a pink petticoat underneath. To say shelovespink is an understatement. I decided to channel one of my favorites, Audrey Hepburn, for the party. She is a favorite actress of mine, and I just adore her movies and style. I carefully selected my polka-dot dress with yellow high heels, my favorite hat, huge sunglasses and, of course, my pearls.

image
Source
Classic Audrey Hepburn.

Many people remember her for her performance in Breakfast at Tiffany's, but I absolutely adore her in Roman Holiday.
Roman Holiday
[She was also known for her ballet slippers and big hats.]

Anywho (see, I'm easily distracted by her gorgeous grace) before the party was under way, I headed over early to assist with the food prep. We had various dips for chips (including a tasty mango salsa), her mom's fabulous macaroni and cheese (which I returned numerous times to sneak a few bites. ohmmgee.sogood.), meatballs, pigs-in-a-blanket, BLT dip with olive oil-drizzled bread, and a classic veggie tray with hummus. Dessert was in the form of brownies and some kind of cake. I never got around to dessert (shocking!) because I was too busy sneaking bites of mac and cheese and enjoying the peach-flavored wine (I very, very seldom drink, but when I do, I choose wine.)...which I never caught the name of. But it was super delightful and required a refill.


Classic food shot.

The Birthday Girl.
My co-worker, Jenny, and I.

















There were presents, a surprise caroling of "Happy Birthday" (which she did not like), great conversation, and an intense game of Apples to Apples. I had so much fun, and cannot wait for the next themed party.

I share this sweet moment because I encourage you to try out a theme for your next party. Have a blast. Think outside the box. Go a little crazy. It is so much fun to dress up in clothes you wouldn't normally wear. Maybe it'll be the 1960s, your favorite TV character, ugly Christmas sweaters, or your interpretation of Steampunk (which was the theme of her birthday party last year). Themed parties are also a great excuse to spend time with family and friends, and try new foods. You don't even need a special occasion. (Go on, you have my permission.)

Whatever you decide, have fun with it. And don't forget to share!


With Love and God Bless,
Brindi

No comments:

Post a Comment