Monday, March 5, 2012

My Chicken Parmigiana with Pasta for One


Happy Monday!

I hope you're enjoying a fabulous start to the week. My day started off a little slower than I wanted....sleeping in until 9 AM! However, I did not get to bed until well after midnight because Mr. B got a new toy over the weekend and I was introduced to Angry Birds for the first time. (I know. I'm way behind. I'm aware.) Anyhoo, let's just say I'm obsessed, frustrated, crazy addicted.

Just like I'm addicted to this homemade marinara sauce.
I will never, not ever buy another jar of marinara sauce. This is THE sauce. Light and perfect and tasty and everything a sauce should be.

Not to mention portion controlled. I love recipes for one. I need, need them for the times when my husband wants pork chops (again) and sausage (for the third day in a row).

I've had this recipe in my repertoire for a few years now. But every time I come across it, or remember I have it, it's like a new find. A fantastically, delicious hidden treasure in my cookbook. And I'm serious. I have not bought any other sauce since this discovery. I mean it's not as quick as opening a jar and warming it on the stove, but it's close enough. The taste is worth the extra few minutes it takes to throw the ingredients in a blender and heat up. I mean, the pasta has to cook, the chicken has to cook....to be honest, the sauce is the easiest and the fastest of the three.

And did I mention how fantastically delicious it is?

And that I love Chicken Parmigiana.

And I love making comfort foods healthy.

So this here, my Internet friends, is a winner.

 
Chicken Parmigiana

Serves 1

1 egg white
1 boneless, skinless chicken breast
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 c seasoned bread crumbs
1 tsp EVOO, divided
2 Tbsp grated mozzarella cheese
1 c canned diced tomatoes (with juices)
2 Tbsp chopped onion
1 clove garlic
1 tsp grated Parmesan cheese
1 tsp ground black pepper
1 tsp tomato paste
2 basil leaves
1 oz cooked whole-grain angel hair pasta
1 c steamed broccoli

Heat oven to 400 degrees. Place egg white in shallow bowl. Sprinkle chicken with salt. Spread bread crumbs on sheet of wax paper or foil. Dip chicken in egg, then dredge through bread crumbs. Coat small oven-safe skillet with cooking spray. Heat 1/2 tsp oil over medium-high heat. Cook chicken on one side until bread crumbs begin to brown, 4-5 minutes. Turn and cook 2-3 minutes more. Transfer skillet to oven; bake chicken 8-10 minutes. Remove. Sprinkle chicken with mozzarella and bake until cheese melts and chicken is cooked through, 1 minute more.

For sauce: Blend tomatoes, onion, garlic, Parmesan and pepper in food processor or blender until smooth. Heat a small saucepan over medium heat and add remaining 1/2 tsp oil. Cook tomato paste, stirring constantly, until paste browns, 3-4 minutes. Add tomato mixture and basil. Cook until sauce becomes smoother, 4-5 minutes. Stir in pasta; serve with chicken and broccoli.

*Note: When I make this for Mr. B, he needs a little sugar to cut the acidity, so I chop up a few baby carrots and toss them into the blender as well. The sweetness of the carrots cut the acidity and he never even knows they're there. Well, maybe now he does....

Nutritional Info: Calories 521, Fat 10, Carbs 47, Fiber 10, Protein 58

With Love and God Bless,
Brindi

2 comments:

  1. This sounds great! I'm going to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome, Kathy! It is the best sauce. Let me know how it works out!!

      Delete