Thursday, August 9, 2012

Blogger Recipe: Black Bean Brownies

Soooo, I have been dying to try these Black Bean Brownies ever since I saw them on Espresso & Cream's site months ago....and I mean moooonths ago. I had planned on making these back in February after my fast, but they completely slipped my mind.

I've actually known about these brownies with black beans for years but had never tried them. So when I stumbled across this recipe I tagged it as a must. I just had to find out what these brownies were all about. Could you taste the black beans? Were they more moist, softer, chewier? Did the beans make the chocolate flavor more intense?


When I first tried these delightful little squares, I knew I was in trouble. I wanted the whole pan (which usually happens when I make brownies, therefore I often don't!) and knowing these were a much healthier brownie made me want them even more.

They were moist and delicate and definitely chocolate intense. But since I cut back on the sugar (which I do in all of my recipes because I don't like desserts to be too sweet or too rich...except for my cheesecake) and added even more protein by substituting the oil with Greek yogurt, these brownies had just the right amount of sweetness. I finally found my perfect brownie!

I can't remember if Mr. B had the chance to sample these brownies or not because the next day I whisked them off to work, sharing these jewels with my co-workers. No one could guess the secret ingredient because you cannot taste the black beans!!! Even after I told them the beans were in there, they still couldn't taste them. Of course, some didn't like the brownies because they weren't sweet enough, but to each his own, right? (These would definitely not please my father, who is a huge sweet chocolate-holic.)




Black Bean Brownies
*adapted from Espresso & Cream's version

Makes 16 brownies

3/4 c canned black beans, rinsed and drained
1/3 c Greek yogurt
2 eggs (I've also made these with flax eggs and they turned out perfectly, too)
1/4 c unsweetened cocoa powder
a very scant 1/3 c sugar or Stevia substitution (unsweetened applesauce would work well)
1 tsp instant espresso granules
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 c semi-sweet chocolate chips, melted
1/3 c whole wheat flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp kosher salt
additional chocolate chips (minis!)


Preheat oven 350 degrees and line an 8x8" pan with foil.

In blender, combine beans, yogurt, eggs, cocoa powder and sugar; blend until mixture is smooth, about 1 minute. Add in espresso, vanilla, melted chocolate, flour, baking powder and salt. Blend for 30 seconds or until smooth. Pour batter evenly into prepared pan and sprinkle with additional chocolate chips. Bake 20 minutes, then transfer to wire rack to cool.

*From now on these are my go-to brownies, and I wonder if I could use this base with a cream cheese or peanut butter swirl......


With Love and God Bless,
Brindi

No comments:

Post a Comment