Friday, May 17, 2013

Creamy Apple Dessert Salad

Sometimes I crave something creamy.

And it's usually ice cream. Or dark chocolate. The darker the better my friends. I'm talking at least 75%.

Sometimes it's an iced caramel macchiato. Milk. Caramel. Espresso. Hits the spot.


But then there are times when I want creamy and healthy. Creamy and light.

This dessert fruit salad hits the spot. It's simple, doesn't require many ingredients, it's fast, and will keep for a few days in the refrigerator....which is perfect in the summer when I crave something creamy and light in the middle of the week (especially when I've already had my ice cream "allowance" for the week and it's only Tuesday).


Creamy Apple Dessert Salad

yields 5 servings

5 Tbsp plain Greek yogurt
5 Tbsp lite Cool Whip
1/4 tsp cinnamon
3 apples, cored and chopped (use red and green apples for color)
1/4 c dried cranberries
Garnishes: walnuts, chopped; extra cinnamon

In a bowl, combine yogurt, Cool Whip, and cinnamon. Add in apples and cranberries, and toss to coat. Chill in refrigerator until ready to serve. Garnish with chopped walnuts and a dash of cinnamon.

*Note: I prefer apples in this because other soft fruit, like peaches, strawberries, and pears, do not keep well. However, if the entire dish might be used in one day, by all means try whatever fruit sparks your fancy. I also like halved grapes and blueberries in mine. Also, I will add an additional tablespoon of both the yogurt and Cool Whip, plus a heaping tablespoon of chocolate protein powder...you know, for the days when I need a healthy chocolate fix and I'm out of dark chocolate and pay day isn't until next week.

Nutritional Information
Per (original) serving: 109 calories, 3 Fat, 22 Carbs, 3 Fiber, 2 Protein


With Love and God Bless,
Brindi

3 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Mmmm. Hmmmm. Eat your heart out, my dear :)

      Delete
  2. i can't chew things like apples or cranberries yet :( But, I will be making this as soon as I can eat hard and crunchy things again!

    ReplyDelete