Tuesday, May 7, 2013

What I'm Reading


Y'all, my reading time has been very sporadic these last few weeks. Almost to the point where it's non-existent, except in the Youth Book Awards category. Caldecotts, Coretta Scott Kings, Belpres, and others have littered my desk at work, car, and home these last few months. Mr. B [politely] asked when we'd see our dining room table again.

I've been busy at work planning Summer Reading programs, meaning my lunch is at my desk while working. Any down time at home consists of multiple trips to Lowe's (yes, Mama and Daddy, Lowe's) buying shrubs, mulch, garden supplies, pest control, outdoor lights, ceiling fans, and anything else Mr. B can find. We never stop improving. However, I have succeeded in convincing Mr. B to buy me a peach tree.

He has promised.

You pick your battles, ladies.

I digress. What I'm trying to say is I can't believe my lack of reading lately (and posting!). But I am still reading, and here's a peek at part of the dining room table (which is now very visible, by the way).


Beautiful Redemption (Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl)
The 4th and final book in the Beautiful Creatures series.

Alas, I have yet to see the movie. But I fell in love with this series a few years ago and could not wait for the release of the final book. I was immersed in our new home and my new job, and finally in January I remembered the book came out....last October!. I was a little behind so I rushed out to buy it, but decided I needed to play catch-up and re-read the first three. (I also talked my book club into reading the first one, which I started and finished during our vacation to Las Vegas.) I'm not sure if I'm going to like the movie, but I'll let y'all know. It is a young adult fantasy novel about a boy living in a small town in South Carolina where nothing ever happens....until he meets Lena and her Caster family. Follow this link for a more in-depth review, but look out for spoilers if you haven't read the others!

Home Cooking with Trisha Yearwood 
Georgia Cooking in an Oklahoma Kitchen
(Trisha Yearwood)

I love Trisha Yearwood. I love cookbooks. And her's are fabulous. I must own both. And soon. Not all of the recipes include pictures, which is sad because the ones that do have me drooling over the recipes. The first thing I made from her book was the Barbecued Ribs. YUM-O. Now I can't wait to try her Zucchini Bake. Mr. B and I are currently addicted to zucchini. Preferably roasted in the oven with just a sprinkle of salt and pepper.

Here's a snapshot of some other cooking/gardening books I perused. I'm really excited to experiment with cat treats for our little Siamese. And here's the little darling...not so darling when you wake her up.


Killing Lincoln
Killing Kennedy (Bill O'Reilly)

A few months ago Mama let me borrow Killing Lincoln. I was so into it, I had that sucker done in less than a week. I was so engrossed I found myself thinking, maybe Lincoln won't be assassinated. Ha. O'Reilly's writing style had me completely right there in the middle of one of the darkest times ever in American history. Brilliant. Now my fingers are just itchin' to pick up Killing Kennedy (which Mama kindly lent me as well), but I know if I do I'll never finish this month's book club read....

Firefly Lane (Kristen Hannah)

This is my newest Book Club read. One of the members suggested it because her grandfather just finished it and he really, really enjoyed it. Hmmm.....not sure if our tastes are similar, but we all decided to give it a go. I'm only a fourth of the way through it, and while I don't hate it, I can easily see me putting it down and never picking it up again. I'm going to give it another 100 pages and see how I feel then. The back story: a friendship between two women from Seattle spans three decades. But then something happens. Will their friendship survive? Considering the novel starts in the 70s, I feel I can't relate to it as much as women who lived through the 70s could. We'll see....

And a children's book for y'all!

Children's Book-a-Day Almanac (Anita Silvey)

Each calendar day is filled with facts, book information, and an essay recommending one book to celebrate that day. For example: Today's (May 6) book is Rascal, by Sterling North. The first week of May is National Pet Week so this book fits perfectly. The day also includes tidbits on famous birthdays and the celebration of No Homework Day. This is a fun book for any lover of children's lit. Some of my favorites are in here, and I'm hoping to discover new ones.

Have you read anything good lately?

With Love and God Bless,
Brindi

No comments:

Post a Comment