Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Yes, I'm a Children's Librarian

And another, Hi-I'm-a-Children's-Librarian-and-this-is-what-I-do-all-day post.

Here's a quick rundown of what my Tuesday (three Tuesdays ago to be exact) looked like....and since it was a TUESDAY (and I work the late shift on Tuesdays) let me tell ya what I did before I arrived at work. <--- trying to see how many "Tuesdays" I can fit into one sentence before you decide to stop reading.

Well, let's see: bright and early at 7 a.m. I had a delicious Dashing Dish protein shake, and then I proceeded to make dinner so Mr. B would have something to eat that evening while I was working away because it's Tuesday and I work late on Tuesdays. (See what I did here, more Tuesdays.) And we're still in the three-year-newly-wed phase, where I still care if he eats dinner. Who am I kidding? I come from a Southern family and we always care if someone eats.

Since it was my birthday week (and you can check that out here) I had to haul my behind over to the dreaded DMV to renew my wonderful license. Nothing says "Happy Birthday!" like paying the better half of $100 so I can spend even more money on gas in order to get from point A to point B every day. Anyhoo, Mr. B was off and kindly decided to ride along so I'd have company. But small towns are nice; 80% of the time there is no waiting. Just like it was on this day. And everyone was very friendly. And the cost actually went down. (Where am I?!) Too bad they only took cash or check, and the fee at the ATM quickly jumped the cost back to it's normal ridiculousness. Whew. Didn't want to get too spoiled, ya know? Oh, and then we went next door to the Dollar Tree so I could pick up a few materials for tonight's yoga program. And then we went across the street to the good ol' Walmart so Mr. B could get some snacks, a cucumber, and clothespins...because why not? Then it was back to the house, see you later dear husband, and off to work I went.

11:30-12:00 p.m. When I arrive at work, I immediately check emails, voice mails, calendars, to-do lists, and get organized for the day or I would have no idea what I'm doing. And I usually enjoy my coffee or tea while I'm at it.

12:00-1:00 p.m. My co-workers and I moved furniture so the performer will have plenty of space for today's children's program. In the few minutes of downtime after room arrangements, I perused through a huge stack of new books, which I'm thrilled to have because my shelves have been looking bare...but are all better now.

1:00-2:30 p.m. Children's program: KSU Summer Stock performance of "Puss In Boots." We have this group out every summer; it's a bunch of kids (from elementary to high school) putting on a play for other kids. After summer programs, the desk is usually bombarded with kids wanting to claim their Summer Reading prizes, so I spent the last 40 minutes handing out coupons, books, and fossil putty, maintaining crowd control, and putting back the furniture.

2:30 p.m. Taking an early lunch; all that furniture-moving worked up an appetite.

3:00-5:00 p.m. Children's program preparation: preparing yoga snacks (which consisted of pudding, smashed cookies, and plastic dinosaurs), gathering materials for the craft (a "brown bag" vest and binoculars for hunting dinosaurs), and creating a parcel game (where I stuck various prizes in between many, many layers of wrapping paper). After, I put the final touches on tomorrow's teen yoga program, which I'm collaborating on with the teen librarian--we'll be doing both Sun and Moon Salutations, and enjoying healthy carrots and grapes.

5:00-6:00 p.m. I continued perusing the new books, and then my thoughts, reluctantly, turned to Fall's By the Book, which is our fall program calendar, which means in the midst of hot, summery weather and Summer Reading programming, I have to think about what programs I want to do at my library in September, October, and November. And the deadline is in three days. Oh, and then I spent the last 15 minutes hurriedly setting up my program.

6:00-7:15 p.m. Yogi Kids program, where the kiddos and I ran through Sun Salutation a few times, learned three new yoga poses, played two games, unwrapped the parcels, designed our dinosaur hunting gear, and dug for dinos in our pudding "dirt." And, yes, clean-up time.

7:15-8:00 p.m. I spent the rest of the evening reviewing and ordering books from the CURRENT new book order, and getting materials around for tomorrow's A.M. toddler programs (which, in case you forgot, goes like this).

By the time I returned home around 9:00, I was tuckered and had an immediate need for pajamas and a cup of hot tea.

With Love and God Bless,

No comments:

Post a Comment