Tuesday, July 16, 2013

My Favorite Zucchini Bread

I don't have to tell Ohioans about the insane amount of rain we've had recently. It's definitely effected my garden.

The tomato plants are taller than I am, full of green tomatoes just waiting to turn (and I know just a little bit of sun will give them that much needed push). While waiting for God's candy to ripen, we harvested a bunch of basil, a few green onions, one bell pepper, and our first zucchini. When we first planted our zucchini plants, my mother-in-law mentioned how much she loved zucchini bread. I promised her I'd make my favorite zucchini bread with the first one. She picked up her loaf half while I was at work, and liked it so much she had to leave me a note telling me it was gone that very night. Unfortunately, so was my half. Mr. B just decided that he, too, was a fan of zucchini bread. Who knew?


Blueberry Zucchini Bread
*Recipe adapted from My Baking Addiction

Makes 10 slices

1 egg, lightly beaten, + 1 flax egg (1 Tbsp ground flax seed & 3 Tbsp water...let sit 5 minutes)
heaping 1/4 c plain Greek yogurt
1/3 c sugar
1/3 c brown sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract
heaping 1 c zucchini, grated and well drained
3/4 c all-purpose flour
3/4 c whole wheat pastry flour
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 c fresh blueberries, washed
oats (optional)

Preheat oven 350 degrees, and lightly grease a 9 X 5 loaf pan with non-stick cooking spray. Blend together egg, flax egg, sugars, yogurt, and vanilla. Fold in grated zucchini. Slowly mix in flours, salt, baking soda, baking powder, and cinnamon. Gently fold in blueberries. Bake 45-50 minutes, until knife inserted in center comes out clean. (*When there is only about 15 minutes left to go, I sprinkle some oats on the top.) Cool, in pan, on a wire rack for 25 minutes. Then remove the bread from the pan and let cool completely before slicing.

(*If you can't wait for it to cool, like me, the bread may crumble apart when slicing and it will taste more like a muffin. Either way, it's absolutely amazing. I succeed at not slicing into it when I make this close to bedtime...that way it has all night to stand and cool, greeting me with a delicious treat in the early morning.)

Nutritional Information
Per slice: 145 Calories, 1 Fat, 12 Sugar, 4 Protein, 3 Fiber

**Next time, I plan to replace half of the sugar with mashed banana or applesauce to make it even healthier!


With Love and God Bless,
Brindi

2 comments:

  1. That looks and sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, it was. It really was. Too bad you were on vacation Monday ;)

      Delete