Thursday, August 22, 2013

The Geisel Awards



This past spring, my co-worker and I read all of the Geisel award winners and honors. There are significantly less books for this award than the Caldecotts (and you can peruse that post here), mainly because this award was first given in 2006, so it didn't take very long. As most are unaware, the Geisel Award is in honor of the one and only Dr. Seuss, aka Theodor Seuss Geisel. It is awarded annually to the author and illustrator of the most distinguished contribution to the body of American children's literature known as beginning reader books. (ala.org)

The following (in alphabetical order by title) are my Geisel favorites, as reviewed through my Goodreads.com account.

AND my favorite Geisel is Pete the Cat and His Four Groovy Buttons. Eric Litwin is fabulous, and Pete is truly the coolest cat around. The illustrations are fun and vibrant, but the repetition found in the text is a winner for interacting with kids. The story keeps their attention and invites them to read along, which they will do. Every time I break this book out in my preschool story time, smiles and eyes full of pure happiness show on their faces. Soon the kids are grooving right along with me. And, of course, you must visit Litwin's web site to hear the songs and discover more Pete the Cat fun! (Psst...now there is an actual Pete the Cat beginning reader series.)



*Updated February 2014

With Love and God Bless,
Brindi

No comments:

Post a Comment