Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Caldecott Fever




My coworker, Amanda, and I challenged ourselves to read all 316 Caldecott Winners and Honors, most of which we read within the last few months. (Follow the link, Ama Reads, to see her favorites and least favorites, and a post on Caldecott Medal criteria.) The Caldecott Medal was named in honor of nineteenth-century English illustrator Randolph Caldecott. It is awarded annually by the Association for Library Service to Children, a division of the American Library Association, to the artist of the most distinguished American picture book for children. (ala.org)



Current Caldecott Winner, Locomotive

The following (in alphabetical order by title) are my Caldecott favorites, as reviewed through my Goodreads.com account.
Yet, my #1 favorite Caldecott is A Sick Day for Amos McGee. Erin E. Stead's illustrations are perfect, heartfelt, and all-around beautiful with delicate bursts of color. (Also, I have a special place in my heart for wordless pages.) And the lovely storyline about a zookeeper and his relationship with the animals pushes it over the top.

Source
*Updated February 2014

With Love and God Bless,
Brindi

2 comments:

  1. This was a fun challenge to complete. I loved seeing our our ratings stacked up and discussing the titles with you. Next - the Coretta Scott King Illustrator awards and honors!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a lot of fun sharing our thoughts on the books. Yes, next the CSKs and eventually the others :)

      Delete