Thursday, March 20, 2014

My Must-Bring-To-Every-Family-Gathering Cornbread Casserole



Mmmmmm. Mmmmmmm.

This is so good, my friends.

So good that if the family is gathering together, I'm asked to not forget this dish!! It's perfect for cookouts, holiday meals (Thanksgiving, of course,), and it's even a great casserole side to drop off at a sick family member's house or to help out a new mama. And the best part, it's super easy to double and feed a crowd. I always have these ingredients on hand, so I can easily throw it together when I have unexpected guests for dinner.


I don't do corn in my my cornbread. I have my cornbread casserole for that.

Every time I make this, Mr. B and I are fighting each other constantly for the end pieces. Don't be surprised if you stop by and all that's left is the very center. Granted, we'll vie for that last bite as well, but when I make this just for us, we start with the outer parts. It makes for a very un-photogenic picture. I had to smack Mr. B's hands away more than once so I could provide you with a few mouth-watering photos. If you're not drooling yet, wait until you take your first bite.


Cornbread Casserole
*health-ified from the Sunday Night Football Cookbook (<--- these football players know their food. YUM.)

Makes 8 slices

1 8 oz box of corn muffin mix
1 c corn (frozen, fresh, or canned)
1 c creamed corn
1 c plain soy yogurt
2 eggs (if making it for just me and the hubby, I'll replace one egg with one flax egg = 1 T ground flax seed + 3 T water)
4 T organic butter, melted and cooled slightly

Combine all ingredients in a large bowl; mix until smooth. Pour into a pie dish coated with cooking spray. Bake at 375 degrees for 45 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean and top is golden. Allow to cool 10-15 minutes in pan before cutting.

*Note: the yogurt makes this dish super moist, so don't over-bake!


With Love and God Bless,
Brindi

No comments:

Post a Comment