Friday, May 16, 2014

{Beauty Series} Oil Pulling

I'm obsessed with coconut oil. I cook and bake with it, use it in my hair, as a moisturizer, home remedies, I use it as a cleanse, eating it by tablespoon every once in a while. Back in February, when my best friend's sister-in-law mentioned she was oil pulling, I was all ears and all in. I've been doing it daily ever since. The results are fabulous. It will forever be part of my morning ritual.
Psst...It's Wear Purple for Peace Day :)
Now, these days I can't read through my blog feed without finding one or two posts about the new oil pulling trend. I've been meaning to share about my experience, and now that I found some unexpected down time I'm blogging away.

So what in the world is oil pulling? Well, every morning after I drink a glass of water, I get up and take a heaping teaspoon of coconut oil and swish it around my mouth for 15-20 minutes. During this time I'm preparing my coffee, breakfast, work lunch, chores, laundry, laying out my clothes, hop in the shower, or taking a stroll around the yard (soon with our puppy!!!!). The more distracted you are the easier it is to reach that 20-minute mark. (The first time I did it I lasted 6 minutes, and by day three I was at 20 minutes.) When I'm finished I spit it in the trash, rinse with a few sips of water, and go about my day. I feel refreshed. My teeth are whitening, and my gums have not bled once since I started (which is saying a lot because I tend to brush a little too hard). It's supposed to help with bad breath, and have anti-plaque and anti-gingivitis treatments, too. Then, after breakfast and coffee, I brush my teeth. (However, I have heard some people only oil-pull and forgo brushing...to each his own.)

So what is the point? One article states, "In India people credit oil pulling with a range of cures, from reducing all manner of aches and pains to even reversing heart disease....It’s well documented, for example, that ingesting certain kinds of oil has a [pulling effect] on other oils and fat-soluble toxins, such as heavy metals and pesticides, drawing these substances from the fatty tissues of the body." It's also rumored to relieve headaches and detoxify the body by pulling out toxins.

Points to remember: Don't eat anything before oil pulling in order to really pull the toxins out of your mouth and body. However, you want to drink a glass of water beforehand to get your saliva going. Don't swallow or the toxins will go right back into your body. Spit it in the trash. It's oil. It will clog your drain, pipes, and toilet. If the oil is grayish or yellowish then the toxins are coming out. (I don't really pay attention to the color, I just spit it out.) Spit the water you use to rinse with in the trash as well. (I heard of people rinsing with salt water as well.) Don't brush immediately after; it's good to let the oil sit on your teeth.

Some people do this at night before bed. I prefer to do it in the morning. Find the time that fits best with you. It will feel weird at first, but trust me you will easily get used to it. I look forward to oil pulling and use it as my natural morning mouthwash. I'm obsessed.


I convinced Mama to try it and, as long as I melt it down a little bit, Mr. B reaps the benefits too!

Please feel free to ask me any questions! :)

With Love and God Bless,
Brindi

No comments:

Post a Comment