Saturday, July 12, 2014

The Marketplace + a Kale "Chipotle" Bowl


Mr. B and I spent the morning of July 4th walking around the Hartville Marketplace and Flea Market. It's a huge deal around these parts, and I love going and finding great deals on produce, gifts, and little knick-knacks you didn't know you needed. Hartville Marketplace is open on a daily basis (except Sundays), but the outdoor farmer's market has shorter hours, and the mass flea market is featured on special holiday weekends, like 4th of July, Labor Day, and their biggest event, Memorial Day Weekend. People come from all over during these weekends, and it can get quite crowded and fast. Fortunately, we live less than 10 minutes away and can get there nice and early. Besides the fantastic Marketplace, a restaurant, collectibles shops, and gigantic hardware store are also in the area. (And that hardware store is insane!)



Anyhoo, it was definitely less crowded on The Fourth than when we went with my in-laws during the Memorial Day Weekend event. Holy frijoles. (Oh, but it was so much fun, and I found the cutest birthday/Christmas gifts. <--- Hey, it's never too early to shop.) This time I stumbled upon a quaint little coffee shop, and purchased these fabulous coasters, perfect for my coffee bar.



Along with the coasters, Mr. B and I scored on a plethora of produce, including blackberries, cherries(!), leeks, baby potatoes, tomatoes, and kale. A ton of kale.

However, by mid-week I realized I'd forgotten completely about most of the kale now dying in my fridge. So the other night I was determined to not let any of it go to waste; I was salvaging every last leaf. Kale salad. Sauteed kale. Kale chips. A list was running through my head of all the different ways I could quickly use up my leafy greens. But then on my drive home I really craved Mexican. Chipotle to be exact. But, as most of you know, Mr. B and I hardly eat out, and very rarely do we ever during the week. While it would have been much easier on my tired self to drive us to Chipotle, yet by the time we would have arrived (almost a half hour away), waited in the looonnnggg line, and then paid, I could have made a simple dinner using up the already bought ingredients at home. And that's just what I did.



With a couple (wilted) bunches of kale on the counter, and Chipotle on the brain, I did my best to use up my produce to create a quick and delicious meal of my own. Voila! My Chipotle inspired Kale Bowl. Mr. B thoroughly enjoyed this.



Kale "Chipotle" Bowl

Serves 4

1-2 huge bunches of kale, chopped (once sauteed, about a cup and a half)
1-2 T olive oil
1 1/2 c brown rice, cooked (I like mine with a decent amount of lime juice, and cilantro if I have it on hand.)
1 lb. lean ground turkey
homemade taco seasoning
3/4 c water
1 c zucchini, chopped
1 c leeks, chopped
1 c corn
1 c black beans
salt and pepper, to taste
toppings: tomatoes, avocado, plain Greek yogurt, salsa (cheese and tortillas, optional)

In a large pan, over med-high heat, saute kale in olive oil. Set aside. In same pan, cook ground turkey, chopped zucchini and leeks (use onions here if you don't have leeks). Once almost cooked, drain grease if needed, add corn, black beans, taco seasoning, and water. Simmer until thickened and water is absorbed, stirring often. Taste and, if needed, add salt and pepper. Assemble bowl: start with a layer of kale, a big spoonful of rice (I always keep a container of cooked rice in the fridge; it makes for a fast dinner ingredient), and a helping of the turkey mixture. Next top with chopped tomatoes, sliced avocado, yogurt, and a small dab of salsa. Or you can take Mr. B's route and enjoy it all on a flour tortilla or two.

Nutritional Information per serving (w/o tortilla and cheese, or topping options): 
510 Calories, 14 Fat, 38 Protein, 9 Fiber, 3 Sugar

And if you're ever in the Northeast Ohio Akron/Canton area, visit the Hartville Marketplace. It's a great day trip! Can't wait to run up there and do a produce re-stock this Monday.

With Love and God Bless,
Brindi

No comments:

Post a Comment