Thursday, January 15, 2015

BLTs In a Bowl

nom.nom.nom.nom.nom.nom.

Who doesn't like a BLT??!!


Besides the grilled cheese, it's the king of all kings when it comes to sandwiches. (All things not grilled cheese, of course.)

It's so easy to throw one together when you just arrived home from work and half to rush out of the house in a half an hour to make it to Wednesday night church service. Or when you don't feel like cooking or dirtying up the kitchen. Or when all you want is a hearty deli sandwich. Or when the pantry is bare.

It's a household favorite over here. Mr. B loves his BLTs along with a side of soup. Which got me to thinking....


BLTs with soup. BLT SOUP!

It's possible, and yes, it's delicious. Whenever I make it, I have to control myself to not eat the entire batch before my husband gets home.It's a simple broth-based soup with chopped bacon, lettuce, and tomato. Most often I use Romain lettuce, but if I make it just for me to have as my work lunch for the week, I like to use a heartier green like kale. Annnndddd....the best part? One serving is less than 300 calories. Yay! Plus, I don't even miss the bread. It's perfect with a BIG COBB SALAD. Or with toasted peppercorn bread, as Mr. B reminded me. <--- He likes his bread.

The tastiest way to celebrate National Soup Month.

nom.nom.nom.nom.nom.nom.


BLT Soup

Serves 4

3 T coconut oil
1/2 c green onions, diced
3 cups Romaine lettuce or kale, finely sliced
1/2 c flour
4 c vegetable broth
1-2 cups [fresh] tomatoes,chopped
6 slices pre-cooked bacon, chopped
1/4 t nutmeg
1 t pepper
1 c unsweetened almond milk (or regular milk)
3 T mayonnaise
3 T plain Greek yogurt
Optional: extra diced bacon for topping

In a large pot, over medium-high heat, melt coconut oil. Add in diced onions and saute 3-4 minutes. Stir in sliced lettuce, and saute a couple more minutes. Sprinkle in flour and stir until well combined. Pour in vegetable broth, cover pot, and bring to a quick boil. Once boiling, add in tomatoes, bacon, nutmeg, and pepper. Lower heat and simmer about 10 minutes. Add in milk and heat through. In a bowl combine mayonnaise and yogurt.

Serve in bowls topped with a dollop of mayo and yogurt mixture. Sprinkle with diced bacon, if desired.

Nutritional Information:
270 calories, 19 fat, 18 carbs, 2 fiber, 2 sugar, 6 protein

With Love and God Bless,
Brindi

No comments:

Post a Comment