Monday, April 23, 2012

Mexican Rice and Broiled Polenta

For Christmas I ordered The Ultimate Daniel Fast Cookbook. As a congregation, my church does an annual fast every January, and my goal is to eventually work up to a full 31-day Daniel Fast. However, when a lot of people (including myself at one point) think about the Daniel Fast, it seems as if you can only eat fruits or veggies. That is not the case. There is so much that you can eat on this fast, and when fasting it is important to focus on what you CAN eat.


Kristen Feola, author of The Ultimate Daniel Fast blog and its coinciding cookbook, offers a plethora of information on the subject of Daniel-fasting. Her blog not only focuses on the fast, but includes food guidelines, recipes and devotionals. These devotionals are a great support system as you journey through your fast. The cookbook also supplies devotionals and Scripture references for fasters throughout their fasts, offering support through God's word and journaling topics.


I was stoked when I finally received my copy of The Ultimate Daniel Fast Cookbook. There are so many delicious meal options, and I can't wait to dive into the recipes even more. Especially when summer comes and more fruits and vegetables are readily available. (And don't cost an arm and a leg.)

This Mexican Rice dish is one of many satisfying recipes offered in this amazing cookbook. But I will warn you...this rice is SPICY. So, go easy with the cayenne and cumin at first. I added some plain Greek Yogurt (since, at the time, I wasn't fasting but just trying out recipes) and it took away some heat. I also paired the rice with broiled polenta. I love polenta. Mr. B....not so much. I just followed my simple go-to polenta recipe.

Polenta

3 c water
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/4 c cornmeal
dash of garlic powder
handful of fresh basil, chopped

Heat water to boiling in large saucepan and add salt. Slowly add cornmeal, whisking constantly so it doesn't stick together. Stir 20 minutes until polenta is thick and pulls away from sides of pan. Stir in garlic powder and basil. Serve...or broil.

To Broil: Wet a paper towel and rub bottom of casserole dish to prevent sticking. Transfer cooked polenta to dish and pack well. Cover and refrigerate until completely cooled, about 2 hours. When ready to serve, preheat broiler. Rub baking sheet with olive oil. Remove polenta from dish and cut into squares. Place squares on prepared baking sheet. Broil, 4" under broiler, until both sides are crispy, about 10 minutes each side.

I hope you give this recipe and Daniel-Fasting a try. Your life, your body, and your relationship with God will benefit greatly.

With Love and God Bless,
Brindi

No comments:

Post a Comment