Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Muesli Oatmeal with Strawberries

I feel like it's Monday all over again. I don't even have enough time to cook! (Thank goodness Mr. B assisted with made dinner last night or it would not have been.) Don't get me wrong. I'm thrilled and blessed with the number of hours given to me at the library. I'm just trying to get into this new routine. My days are starting much earlier, which means I don't have the time to prepare meals for the day like I used to.

I'm thinking the crockpot is going to become very friendly with my kitchen counter.

And because my weeks are jam-packed,  I need my breakfast bowls to be jam-packed. With goodness. Lots of it.

My grocery store had a new product this week: Muesli. I've been eager to try this breakfast dish but wasn't sure if I'd like it cold or hot. I had some cold the other day and really enjoyed it. But I love oatmeal so much I decided to try it hot.

Muesli is a popular breakfast meal based on uncooked rolled oats with a mixture of cornflakes, fruit and nuts. Similar to my oats, it's a versatile canvas for every season. And I'm a firm believer of using fruits in their seasons.

Which is why I added fresh strawberries to my bowl of Muesli this morning.

The version I bought from the store lacked nuts, so I grabbed a handful of chopped almonds and walnuts and embellished.

I gobbled up this bowl and was satisfied for hours. Yet, I realized, I prefer my Muesli cold. With almond milk. A dash of flax meal. And plain.; no toppings.

I want to keep my oatmeal and Muesli experiences separate. I'm stubborn like that.

Muesli Oatmeal with Strawberries

Serves 1

1/2 c Muesli
1/4 c unrolled oats
1 c water
4-6 strawberries, sliced
1 Tbsp flax meal
Handful of chopped nuts
Optional: splash of almond milk (for desired consistency)

Place Muesli and oats in medium saucepan with water over medium-high heat. Once mixture begins to boil, reduce heat and simmer until desired consistency is reached. A few minutes before finished add strawberries. Pour into bowl and top with flax meal and a few splashes of milk.


With Love and God Bless,
Brindi

No comments:

Post a Comment