Saturday, April 14, 2012

Berries, Flax and Protein Oatmeal

I don't know if you are aware, but I'm an oatmeal-aholic. If my day doesn't start with a big bowl of oats, I can't function. [Well, technically, I'll manage, but you get my point.]

Oatmeal and strawberries is my absolute favorite combination, with fresh peaches as a close second. But some days I'm just in the mood to shake up my taste buds.

This morning I was craving nut butter and strawberries. Usually I just throw these ingredients on some toast and rush out the door, but since it's Saturday and I'm anything but in a hurry, I decided to heat up some oats. Smartest thing I've done all day.


Berries, Flax and Protein Oatmeal

Serves 1

1/2 c rolled oats (not instant!)
1 c unsweetened almond milk
4-6 large strawberries, chopped
1 1/2 Tbsp flax meal
1 Tbsp nut butter (I had almond, peanut and cashew butter on hand)
Optional: 1 Tbsp nonfat cottage cheese, or 1 Tbsp chopped nuts or granola (Depending on how I feel, I'll occasionally throw these in for a little more creaminess or texture.)

Combine oats and milk in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat and simmer about 10 minutes, or until desired consistency is reached. (You can add more or less milk if needed.) Add in berries and cottage cheese, if using. Cook 2-3 minutes more. Spoon into bowl and top with flax, nut butter and any additional toppings. Enjoy immediately!


*NOTE: This bowl of oats can keep me full for hours. But some days I'm not as hungry and I only manage to eat half. When that happens I just put the oats in the fridge and eat it cold as a snack when I get home. Delicious!


With Love and God Bless,
Brindi

No comments:

Post a Comment