Sunday, March 10, 2013

Our Top 10 Meals, Part 1

As new recipes grace the posts of Sweet B's Impressions, I'm sure most of you are wondering what Mr. B and I eat for dinner most nights. But I must confess. I am not a fan of the usual. I like variety and trying new dishes. So, it's quite the revolving door over here. However, we do have a few favorites, mostly because they fit in with our busy weeknight schedules, we turn to at least once a week.

And instead of overwhelming you with a bunch of recipe must-trys, I'm breaking the Top Ten into a few different posts.

*And these are in no particular order.


Baked Egg Rolls and Fried Rice

This dish makes an appearance at our dinner table probably three times a month, and that's a lot for my dinner table. (Like I said, it's a revolving door.) By the time my homemade egg rolls are coming out of the oven, my rice is ready. And it's pretty much a one pot kind of dinner. Well, one pot and one baking sheet.

And P.S. these egg rolls are better the next day, which makes for a perfect work lunch.

Baked Egg Rolls
Serves 6 (2 egg rolls each)

12 egg roll wraps
1 lb cabbage mix (coleslaw mix)
1 Tbsp soy sauce
dash of ginger
1 1/2 Tbsp water
1 Tbsp flour
1 tsp minced garlic
olive oil

Preheat oven 425 degrees. Coat baking sheet with non-stick spray; set aside. In large skillet, over medium heat, drizzle some olive oil in pan and add cabbage and garlic. Saute 5 minutes but don't let it get soggy (keep it crisp). Sprinkle on soy sauce and ginger, mix and let cool. Once cool, mix water and flour, in a small bowl, to form a paste. Dab your finger in paste and wet the top point and sides of an egg roll wrap. Add 2 tablespoons of cabbage mix to lower center of wrap. Roll up the wrap, tucking in the sides. Lay on prepared baking sheet and continue with the rest. Lightly top with non-stick spray and bake 10 minutes until starting to brown. Turn on the broiler; broil egg rolls for 2 minutes more. Serve with sweet and sour sauce. (Meanwhile, start the fried rice.)

Nutritional Information
Per egg roll: 80 Calories, 1 Fat, 14.2 Carbs, 1 Fiber, 3.4 Protein

Fried Rice
*adapted from Better Homes and Gardens New Cook Book

Serves 3-4

2 c brown rice, cooked
mushrooms, sliced
2 eggs, beaten
3 Tbsp soy sauce, divided
peas, frozen or fresh
2green onions, chopped
1 tsp sesame oil
1 tsp garlic, minced
1 Tbsp canola oil
2 c mushrooms, sliced
Carrots, celery, peas (optional)

In small bowl combine eggs and 1 Tbsp soy sauce. Heat sesame oil in the same skillet the cabbage was in for the egg rolls over medium heat. Add egg mixture and garlic, and stir to scramble. When set, remove mixture to bowl and set aside. Add canola oil to skillet. Toss in mushrooms and stir-fry 2 minutes, or until crisp tender. (At this time I would normally stir-fry sliced carrots and celery in a separate pan because Mr. B does not like these veggies in his rice and I do. If you like them, feel free to add these veggies and whatever else you like at this time.) Add cooked rice. Sprinkle with remaining 2 Tbsp soy sauce. Cook 5 more minutes until heated through. Add cooked egg mixture and green onions. Cook 2 minutes more. Serve with egg rolls. (At this time, I add peas to my portion because, you know, Mr. B....)

Nutritional Information
Per 2/3 cup: 141 Calories, 6 Fat, 18 Carbs, 2 Fiber, 5 Protein




Lemon Linguine/Pasta Primavera
I always try to limit myself to no more than two pasta dinners a week, at most. (We like our protein over here.) And if I'm running short on time, and ingredients, I throw together one of these simple pasta dishes using whatever veggies need my attention (for the primavera), and I always have lemons on hand for this light(er) linguine.

For this mouth-watering lemon pasta dish click here.

 

Nachos
Of course nothing is faster than a tray of nachos. We can't even drive to a restaurant in less time than it takes to make this dinner. (And these ingredients are necessary pantry staples in my kitchen.) Toss on your favorite veggies, beans for the protein, a sprinkle of cheese, and some garnishes like plain Greek Yogurt, sliced green onions, homemade guacamole (which I always have in the freezer), or every-now-and-then sour cream. Delicioso. We usually have this dinner every other week. Sometimes we get into nacho cravings and have it every Sunday....usually during football season.



Snack Plate and a Big Chopped Salad


Hands down this is one of my favorite dinners. I LOVE a Big Chopped Salad, with all of the fixings, bring it on. I usually make this when I find our fridge jammed packed with fresh produce, usually after my weekly trip to the grocery store. After purchasing all the vegetables my bags can carry, I'm eager to taste a little bit of everything, and that's where my chopped salad comes into play. It's one simple and quick way to get a ton of tasty veggies into our bellies. Plus, it pairs well with a snack plate. If we're having a Big Chopped Salad, our snack plate consists of crackers, chopped fresh deli meat and cheese (my personal favorites are turkey and ham with Havarti and Munster), and grape tomatoes (God's candy is what I like to call them).


A Big Chopped Salad
(My must-have ingredients)

Romaine lettuce
Bell peppers
Cucumbers
Tomatoes
Hard-boiled eggs
Shredded cheddar cheese
Green onions
Sprinkle of red pepper flakes
Carrots

Get out your biggest cutting board and sharpest knife. Chop up your veggies and combine in a huge bowl; sprinkle on a dash of salt and pepper. Toss. Drizzle on your favorite dressing. (My current favorite is Honey Mustard.)

Stay tuned for the next Top Ten post! Happy eating.

With Love and God Bless,
Brindi

No comments:

Post a Comment