Monday, January 30, 2012

Game Day #1: Nachos (Two Ways)

Since the Super Bowl is right around the corner, and I LOVE Super Bowl Parties, I've decided to dedicate this week's posts to menu ideas for the big game. We're huge football fans in this household. I love football just as much as the next man. (I come from a football-obsessed family.) My team is the Cleveland Browns. [Please keep your comments and jokes to yourself if you'd like us to stay friends.] Mr. B, however, is a die-hard 49ers fan and has been since he was a wee boy....that last game was heart-breaking.

Anyhoo, back to the party menu. My family always gathers on Sundays to watch the games, and the Super Bowl is no different. And no game-day party is complete without a big spread of nachos. Am I right, or am I right?

Here's what we put on our nachos in the Sweet B household:
  • cheddar cheese
  • black beans
  • reduced-fat refried beans
  • shredded lettuce
  • tomatoes, diced
  • green onions, diced
  • sour cream
  • salsa
I spread the nachos on a foil-lined baking sheet. Top with cheese and place under the broiler until cheese is melted. Then I top it with the beans, lettuce, tomatoes and onions. I finish it off with a dollop of sour cream and salsa. Then I set the baking sheet on the coffee table and we dig in while we watch the game. Occasionally, we will have this as a quick dinner. (And depending on if Mr. B wants a quick snack, I'll make him a small plate...where I melt the cheese on the chips in the microwave instead of the oven.)























But...sometimes, we (cough, because I have some crazy need to constantly change up Mr. B's favorites, cough) tire of our same-old nachos and crave something different. Enter the baked potato.

Just take whatever you throw on your nachos, and throw it on some baked potato wedges. Ah yes. Genius, I know.

I love nachos. I love baked potatoes...loaded. So I had the bright idea one day, when I discovered Mr. B had already devoured the recently-purchased bag of tortilla chips, to throw some potato wedges into the oven and top with my nacho favorites. And tada! Potato Nachos!


The "Baked Potato "Part

Just cut some potatoes into wedges (as thick or as thin as you like), toss with olive oil, salt and pepper, and then spread onto a foil-lined baking sheet.

Bake at 425 degrees for 20 minutes. Flip potatoes over and bake another 20 minutes or until done.

Add your favorite toppings, then add cheese.

Place under the broiler for 2 minutes, and then finish off with a dollop of sour cream, salsa, or guacamole (or whatever floats your boat).

Check back tomorrow for another
Super Bowl Party menu idea!

With Love and God Bless,
Brindi

No comments:

Post a Comment