Friday, December 9, 2011

Gravy SO Good

Check this out. Nothing takes me back to my childhood quicker than a plate piled high of biscuits and gravy (except Grandma Bays' fried pork chops...so good, and my arteries are clogging as I think of them). My family loooooves biscuits and gravy. Being from the south, Grandma Bays was no stranger to eating this meal for breakfast, lunch and dinner.


When I was little I looked forward to weekends, summer and breaks because my cousins and I would stay at my grandparents house. I remember sleeping in and waking up to the smell of gravy coming from the kitchen. My cousins and I would strive to be the first one in the kitchen. We'd sit with pride and a huge smirk on our face, with a full plate, as we watched the "sleepy heads" finally make their way to the kitchen.

I loved being the first one because Grandma would let me taste the gravy and judge if it needed any more seasoning. That's definitely where my love for food began. In the kitchen with Grandma. My grandma passed away almost four years ago from breast cancer, and even though I don't get to spend my weekends with her in the kitchen, smells like this take me back instantly.

Mama would also make me sausage gravy and biscuits, and it was delicious. And I love Cracker Barrel's gravy recipe...it's sooo rich and creamy. So when I found Bobby Flay's Biscuits with Cream Gravy, I jumped on that gravy train. Figuratively speaking, sort of.



These Black Pepper Buttermilk Biscuits were the perfect pillows for my gravy. They were extremely easy to make, and I didn't mind getting my hands wrist-deep in flour, butter, buttermilk and cream.

But the gravy was the best part. It was all I could do to not jump inside this pot of creamy heaven. I mean I already licked the spoon...multiple times. Ohemmgeee. I could drink this. It's that good.

Gravy. So. Good.

A small warning, definitely not figure-friendly. But everything in moderation, right?



Cream Gravy
* adapted from Bobby Flay's recipe

Makes about 2 cups
2 c whole milk (but I was out, so I used 1 3/4 c 1% milk + 1/4 c heavy cream)
2 Tbsp unsalted butter
2 Tbsp flour
1 tsp Kosher salt and 1/4 freshly ground pepper
Put milk in small saucepan and bring to simmer over medium heat. Melt butter in small saucepan over medium heat. Whisk in flour and cook for 1 minute without browning. Slowly whisk in warm milk. Raise heat to high and continue whisking until sauce begins to thicken and the raw taste of flour has been cooked out, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. (And try your hardest to leave some to actually top the biscuits.)


**Make this for breakfast, lunch, dinner, brunch. Whenever. Whatever. Just make it!


With Love and God Bless,
Brindi

No comments:

Post a Comment