Thursday, December 1, 2011

December-60 Challenge

With all of the holiday baking and snacking I plan to do, it's important to keep myself accountable relating to the fitness part of my life. I am a firm believer of everything in moderation and balance. In order to compensate for the extra snacking that inevitably occurs during the holiday season, I am committing myself to a work out plan I'm calling the December-60 Challenge.

When I make commitments, especially when they're in writing or shared with others, I stick to them.

Because I've been so busy with school, work and my practicum, I haven't had the time to fit in my workouts. And I love working out...the energy it gives me...it's a huge stress reliever...clears my mind...how great my body feels afterwards (and there's nothing wrong with a little burn). But during the last few weeks, I can't even find the minutes to fit in my mat time!!! I'm literally going crazy over here.

However, since my practicum is finally finished, and I've officially completed my Master's program (I graduate in a few weeks...yipee), it's time to get back to me. So to kick things off, I'm starting with the December-60 Challenge.

The idea for this challenge hit me while I was watching Monday Night Football. I love the NFL's Play 60 movement, which encourages children to be active for at least 60 minutes a day. It's a commitment to rid children of obesity. But many adults would benefit from the same idea.

Hence, my December-60 Challenge. I'm committing myself to 60 minutes of active "play" every day in December. No more papers to write, projects to create, research to skim. I'm free and I'm getting back to the things I love.

Like my yoga.

I can't wait to get back to my morning mat time. I've missed it and I know my mat has been lonely in the corner of my living room.

Even though I'm making this commitment to keep a balance in my life over the holiday season, there is so much more to it than just me. Scripture shows us in 1 Corinthians 6: 19-20, "Know you not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which you have of God, and you are not your own? For you are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's."  Our bodies belong to God. He graciously gave us the body and we need to keep it clean, active and healthy. Our body is a temple and it is not ours. Therefore, it is crucial that we watch what we eat, know when we've had enough, and balance out the bad with the good...like being active.

In glorifying the Father, I do it not only through my mind, spirit and soul, but through my body as well. And that's all the reason I need to live a healthy lifestyle.

God is my ultimate motivator and strength.

When I stand before my Father someday in Heaven, I want to show Him the good works I have done, what I did with the time He gave me and the body He blessed me with.



So without further ado, I'm starting right now. I hear my mat calling me.

Oh, and I plan to share a weekly post with you logging my workout regime. It might be a post all on it's own sharing struggles, new workouts, etc., or I might include the log in other posts. So keep reading!


Start today and join the December-60 Challenge!

With Love and God Bless,
Brindi

No comments:

Post a Comment