Sunday, February 3, 2013

Our Super Bowl Party

We are obsessed with football in my family.


With so many favorite teams, there was always a favorite team playing and a football "gathering" every weekend. Some times we participated in more than one a week. We had high school football, and College Game Day (to say we are HUGE Ohio State fans is a HUGE understatement), and of course NFL Sunday. It was always fun and always entertaining. Cousins (and siblings) went to separate high schools, so there were occasional rivalries. But Ohio State always united us every Saturday. When Sunday rolled around, it was every fan for himself.

Browns. Cowboys. Bengals. Vikings. Packers. (The Titans for a short time.) Bears. (Oh, and a team I refuse to mention on my blog. And it's not only a Browns' fan's dislike. This team is strongly disliked by everyone...another united stance.) And later on, boyfriends and husbands added the 49ers and Colts to the mix. Everyone was allowed to have their own team. BUT we had one rule.....you can't like a team just because they win, and not be a fan when they lose. In other words, you couldn't be a front-runner. You couldn't jump from team to team. We strongly dislike front-runners over here.

There were victories and defeats, tears, and yelling, silent treatments and, yes, one incident of a perturbed fan getting up and turning off the TV. (Daddy's Cowboys were beating my aunt's unmentionable team.) Needless to say, everyone watching was not happy. This then resulted in Daddy leaving Thanksgiving dinner at my grandma's house, deciding he would walk home in the rain and snow to finish watching the game at our house. Well, we don't live in what you would call a city (or town, haha), so it wasn't going to be a short walk. Mama wasn't too happy when she had to hurriedly pack up two kids, who found the situation hysterical and upsetting at the same time, say good-bye to her stunned family, and drive down the road to pick up a stubborn husband.

Yeah, football is a BIG DEAL.


Growing up, I wasn't like other kids who put their homework off until the last minute, running around like a chicken with its head cut off Sunday night. I worked ahead in study hall, did my homework throughout the week, and studied for exams during commercials. I had to go to our school's Friday night games, and I wanted to enjoy football with my family on Saturdays and Sundays. No time for school work. Only food, yelling, and games. A girl has her priorities.

That's the kind of football game days I grew up with, so I was excited when we moved into our new home with lots of room for entertaining. Hello, football gatherings! (Except Mr. B's family isn't like mine. I mean they watch the game, but there's maybe two or three people and no food. And most of the time Mr. B wouldn't even stay at our house to watch the game. We have all this space.....I like to make food....What the....? Hmmmm...) Well, in case I haven't mentioned it, Mr. B is a huge 49ers fan. He has been ever since he was a little boy. And he's obsessed. A very true and dedicated fan. I've never known anyone like him. So, you can imagine how SUPER excited I was that they made it to this year's SUPER BOWL. It's time to plan a party, my friends.

Go big or go home is how we do it in my family. Especially when someone's team is in the Big Game.

We have balloons, and party stuff, lots of room, games, and plenty of food. AND cake. (In my family, football days are usually all day events. Mr. B's is a tad different. It's a shame, really.)


On today's Super Bowl menu we have my famous nacho bar (you can find the recipe here). Football and nachos are a must in this household on any game day. Mr. B would not be happy if they didn't top the list.

Next, we have a generous bowl of what I like to call the "Good Stuff." It's my Chicken & Wild Rice Salad. I'm obsessed with this salad, and so our my in-laws. Lately it's been a must every time they come over. Mr. B won't touch the stuff, so I buy him his favorite coleslaw, KFC's. (Which, funny enough, he never used to eat before four months ago.....)


And while there, this morning, Mr. B decided we might not have enough food, or that people might want meat, so he brought home a bucket of chicken, biscuits, mashed potatoes and gravy.

I've been craving homemade pizza for a couple of days now, and last Sunday I made a double batch of pizza dough, giving me four pizza crusts. Earlier this week I made a tasty Margarita pizza for me and the hubby, knowing I'd be making my absolute favorite pizza today. (My in-laws have not yet had my homemade pizza and they can't understand why Mr. B and I hate ordering greasy pizza, so hopefully today they will jump on our train....) Oh, it's so good. Straight from the oven, room temp, or cold. The.best.

My Spicy-Lime Popcorn (recipe below), which is the only way I prefer to eat popcorn. This stuff disappears before I realize it. And then I realize I'm the one who ate the entire batch.


And, of course, the celebrated team: 49ers cupcakes and ice cream, with a Football Berry garnish.


We also have a plethora of beverages, and Mr. B would kill me if I forgot his pretzels. (I wanted to dip them in red chocolate and decorate, but he wouldn't let me "ruin" them.) And for some reason he thought we needed chips and dip. Holy frijoles.


Obsessed with Football. Yes.


Spicy-Lime Popcorn

Makes 4 cups popped.

4 c popcorn, popped (bag or air-popped)
1 tsp cumin
pinch of ground pepper
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp lime juice
1 tsp lime zest

*NOTE: If using air-popped, add 3 Tbsp olive oil and 1 tsp salt.

Mix everything, except popped popcorn and lime juice, in a small bowl. Add seasoning to popcorn and carefully mix together. Sprinkle with lime juice and enjoy!


Football Berries

Serves how ever many you need.

Strawberries
Dark chocolate, melted
White chocolate, melted

These are quite self-explanatory. Dip the strawberries in the dark chocolate and allow to chill in refrigerator overnight. The next day, using a toothpick, draw football lines on top of the harden dark chocolate. Allow to chill in refrigerator until ready to eat.

Sadly, the white chocolate was not cooperating.
*Looking for even more tasty recipes to please your crowd during the Super Bowl? Then don't forget to check out my seven days of Game Day posts, including nachos, cold pizza, broccoli dip, and many more!

Go 49ers!
With Love and God Bless,
Brindi

No comments:

Post a Comment