Thursday, January 19, 2012

Pear Salad with Walnuts

Let's talk salads. I could eat salads for days, and I try to incorporate a salad into at least one of my meals every day. But I can get bored pretty fast, so I have fun creating new ways to enjoy the vegetables and fruits I love. I also enjoy coming up with new homemade dressings. I try not to eat the bottled versions because they tend to be filled with tons of sugar and fat. And if I'm putting sugar in my dressing, I want to know exactly how much and in what form.

I've been eating this Pear salad for years now. It's one of my go-to-salads because it's full of my favorites, like pears, walnuts, Greek Yogurt, honey and Gorgonzola. It's full of simple imgredients and can be thrown together in a snap.

Here are the stars of today's show....and there's only nine! (And most are going in the dressing!)


You can eliminate the sour cream and use all yogurt for a healthier dressing, if you want. But I like the creamy consistency of both the yogurt and the sour cream. And as my family will tell you, I LOVE me some sour cream. I can literally eat it by the spoonful. So when a recipe calls for sour cream, you can bet I'm using it....and probably a little extra.


Oh, and I LOVE Gorgonzola. Sadly, the grocery store was out of it this week, and I had to settle for blue cheese. There's just something more sophisticated tastier about Gorgonzola. I like it better.

The secret to this salad is the black pepper. It works wonders on your taste buds.


I relish in this salad almost weekly. I can't help it; it's so tasty. Especially when you take that first bite and you taste the tang of the dressing, the crunch of the walnut and the sweetness of pear with a hint of black pepper. Mmm. You're almost in heaven.

*NOTE: I think the dressing makes enough for 6-8 servings!! And nothing will destroy a mouth-watering salad quicker than too much dressing. I loathe too much dressing. I've ruined many a salad by following most recipes' recommended amount. So only drizzle to your heart's content. (P.S. It is a very thick dressing, and a little goes a long way.)


Pear Salad with Walnuts

Serves 4

4 c mixed greens, preferably your favorite blend
1 (18-oz) can pear halves, drained and cut into large slices (or, if able, fresh pears)
3 Tbsp olive oil
3 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 Tbsp honey
1/4 c sour cream
1/4 c plain, non-fat Greek yogurt
3/4 c crumbled Gorgonzola
3 Tbsp walnuts
black pepper

Divide greens between plates and top with pears. In medium bowl, combine oil, vinegar, honey, sour cream and yogurt. Fold in Gorgonzola. Drizzle dressing over salad. Garnish each salad with walnuts and a dash of black pepper.

**Another NOTE: I tend to make this salad as my work lunch throughout the week. I cut the dressing ingredients in half, which, for me, makes enough for 3-4 salads. The dressing keeps well in the refrigerator for a few days. When I run out of dressing, I make another batch to finish out my week.


Oh, and here's a snapshot of Mr. B's salad. He likes his salad with the "normal" ingredients (green pepper, cucumber, tomato, green onion, hard-boiled egg, and either Ranch or French dressing or oil and vinegar). He doesn't like to branch out. I tell him all the time that he needs to broaden his horizons. But then he always responds with "if I have a quarterback who is winning games and doing everything I ask of him, would I say 'Hey, let's try the back-up and see what he's got?' No." So he sticks with what he likes.


I, on the other hand, seem to go through quarterbacks as if they were a new change of clothes.

With Love and God Bless,
Brindi

2 comments:

  1. Ok, so you're making this for me when I come for a visit, right? :) I don't know if gorgonzola cheese is gluten free, but we could try goat cheese...? that would be yummy too. I love your blog. I enjoy your writing, pictures, and the passion you show for the things you love. So proud of you!!! Love you! xoxo
    ~Aunt Joann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! A comment! Aww thanks JoJo, and I would love to make this for you when you come to visit, and goat cheese is a possibility. I'm so happy to have readers and I wish I had started this blog sooner. Thanks for sharing my posts! Love you.

      Delete