Saturday, January 28, 2012

Lemon Bread


When I stumbled across this Lemon Bread recipe a few years ago, I was extremely happy. I love anything lemon, and prefer a lemon dessert over a chocolate one any day. Although I'm not a huge bread person, I had a strong desire to become a bread-maker. Even though making bread from scratch intimidated me, I saw flashes of me baking up little mini bread loafs and handing them out around the holidays. (And I have since braved a few homemade pizza crusts, Fresh Strawberry Bread and Blueberry Zucchini Bread, both equally delicious...By the way, I can't tell you enough about this blog, My Baking Addiction. Added bonus: she's an Ohio girl, too. Awesome.)

I usually make this bread following the recipe exactly. However, I wanted to make it a little healthier this year, by switching some of the ingredients, because I tend to eat the whole loaf a few slices because it is sooooo lip-smacking scrumptious!

See that glistening glazed-crust on top of the bread? You must brush the glaze on as soon as the bread comes out of the oven! You wouldn't believe the difference it makes. Not so pretty and delightful if you wait until the bread cools. And don't skimp on the topping!

This bread is delicious both warm and at room temperature. The glaze is so perfect, you don't even need anything else with the bread. I promise!


Lemon Bread
*adapted from Better Homes and Garden

Makes 1 loaf (16 slices)

1 3/4 c flour
3/4 tsp Stevia sugar (or use 3/4 c sugar and omit Greek yogurt)
1/4 plain, non-fat Greek yogurt
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 egg, beaten
1 c milk
1/4 c unsweetened applesauce (or use 1/4 c butter, melted. I tried both ways, and they're equally delicious.)
2 tsp grated lemon peel
1 Tbsp lemon juice + 2 Tbsp
1/2 c chopped almonds
1 Tbsp sugar

Preheat oven 350 degrees. Lightly grease bottom and half-inch up sides of 8x4" loaf pan. In medium bowl combine flour, Stevia, baking powder and salt. In another medium bowl combine egg, milk, applesauce, lemon peel and 1 Tbsp lemon juice. Make a well in flour mixture and add egg mixture along with yogurt (if using). Stir until just moistened (it's okay if it's lumpy!). Fold in almonds. Spoon batter into prepared pan.

Bake 50-55 minutes or until toothpick inserted near center comes out clean. NOTE: 10-15 minutes before done, check for browning, and, if so, cover with foil for remaining baking time. In a small bowl, stir together 2 Tbsp lemon juice and 1 Tbsp sugar. While bread is still in pan, brush glaze over top of loaf. Cool in pan on wire rack. Wrap and store overnight before serving? Yes, for best results. Honestly, I've never made it that far before slicing into this delicious, citrus bread.

Nutritional Information
Per slice my adapted way: Calories 85; Fat 2.2
(Per slice original way: Calories 147; Fat 6)

With Love and God Bless,
Brindi

No comments:

Post a Comment