Tuesday, January 10, 2012

2012: Creating New Habits

I'm not very good at keeping resolutions. In all actuality, who is? And I love the idea of resolutions, too. The idea of starting with a clean slate. Making this the year for change. Taking a chance. Committing to something new, different, exciting. And every new year I announce a resolution or two, and a month later I don't even recall the resolution(s) I made. Dang.

But this year I want to create new habits instead of resolutions. I think the idea of a "habit" is more encouraging than a resolution. Plus, I like saying "habits." HABITS. Habits. I feel I'm going to want to stick with these.

The following is a list of HABITS I'd like to establish daily, or weekly, in 2012:
  • Starting my day and ending my day meditating on God's word. The Bible tells us, in Psalms 1:1-3, "Blessed is the man that walks not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor stands in the way of sinners, nor sits in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the Lord; and in his law does he meditate day and night. And he shall be like a tree planted by the rivers of water, that brings forth his fruit in his season; his leaf also shall not wither; and [all] he does shall prosper." When I start my day focusing on God, my day is wonderful. I'm happy; I don't let things bother me, and I'm a better person. When I don't start my day with God, I see and feel a big difference. The same happens when I end my day focusing on Him. I rest better, and leave the matters of the day until tomorrow.
God encourages us to meditate on His word. When we need wisdom, guidance and seek answers, we are to turn to Scripture. Second Timothy 2:15 tells us "Study to show yourself approved unto God, a workman that needs not to be ashamed, [who correctly explains] the word of truth." I study God's word so I know His word. If you don't know it, how can you live by it? How can you help others and bring them to God? When an unbeliever asks questions, are you equipped to answer?

All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for [teaching], for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: that the man of God may be [adequate, equipped for every good works.] (2 Timothy 3:16-17)
  • (and right after that) Starting my day and ending my day with my yoga practice. I actually meditate and talk with God while I do my morning practices. So these first two sort of overlap. I do this often, but some days I oversleep, or pass it up to gain a few more minutes of sleep. But sleep is never as good as the Word and yoga. This year I'm making it a habit to do it every.day.with.out.fail.
  • Choosing healthy options for breakfast, like my oatmeal, smoothies, and yogurt bowls. I always feel so good in the mornings and I know it's because of my breakfast choices. If you eat right at the start of your day, you're going to make healthier choices all day long. And breakfast is my favorite meal...right behind dessert, of course.
  • Get more involved with my church and community. I'm excited that my church is starting Connection Groups. These are groups that certain members of the church are starting where people with the same interests, be it basketball, board games, Bible study, biking, etc. get together and learn about each other while doing something they enjoy. Since our church has over 3,000 members, it's hard to get to know people. But these groups are a way to change that.
I've been attending a Zumba Connection Group these past few weeks, which I adore! But once the semester starts back up (next week) I'll have to give it up because of my work schedule. I also signed up for a Baking Connection Group, only to find out I'll be working then too! I'm heartbroke. I would have LOVED that group!!!!!  But the groups are just starting, so I'm keeping my eyes open for times when I'm off. I hear there's interest in a volleyball one.....
  • Take one day a week to pamper myself. Whether I spend that time in a bath, doing my nails (the new color I bought Marine Scene), giving myself an at-home facial or skin care routine....I want to make sure I take time for myself. Just something small because I'm definitely not a high-maintenance person, and my wallet and Mr. B are very thankful for that.
(My hands were freezing when I snapped this photo!)

I actually took a bath the other night and was definitely unprepared. I was completely bored within 20 minutes. But that's why I want to make this a new habit in 2012. We tend to be so busy that we don't know how to act when we try to not be busy. I think the problem was I didn't have bubbles. I had bath salts, but no bubbles. I now know that bubbles are a must.
  • Stick with my "Daniel Fast" routine one day a week. As part of my January Fast (which I will be posting on very soon), I always try to incorporate the "Daniel Fast".....my goal is to eventually work my way up to Daniel "Fasting" the whole month of January, but I'm just a beginner, in my second year, so baby steps for now. This month I'm attempting the Daniel Fast for one meal and all snacks one day a week. I'm hoping to continue this fast throughout the entire year. It's similar to how some people prefer to cleanse their body. I choose to fast instead. My body is a temple to the Lord; He gave me this wonderful body, and I want to keep it clean.
  • Make time for more activity...at least 20 minutes a day. I love being active with workouts, yoga practices, Pilate's and running, but my days can be jam-packed, which makes it harder for me to get everything I want to do into one day. [I need at least 28 hours in my day. Really.] But I'm determined to put this at the top of my list!
  • Scrapbook at least one day a week. I love it so much because it helps me de-stress. But I'm sooo far behind!

  • More sleep AND better sleep!!! I want to get back into the habit of practicing my "Ready For Bed" yoga routine. It allows me to get the full rest that I need, and it helps me fall asleep faster.
  • Drink more water. I know I drink a lot of water, but I want to make it a habit to drink more...especially early in the morning as I begin my day. I want to get back into my habit of drinking hot water with lemon. I used to do that all.the.time.
  • More posts on my blog! I love writing but I can be a perfectionist, which means I tend to procrastinate, which means I moan and mope around until I finally convince myself it's fine and to just post it already! But I'm going to do better. Promise. Maybe. Let's just say I'll work on it.
  • Cut out TV by watching no more than 60-90 minutes a day (if I do get the chance to watch)...I very seldom watch TV (if I am, it's either sports or Food Network), but when I do I want to make sure it's not trash and to make sure it's worth watching....if not, I can spend my time doing other, more valuable things with my time....like spending time with the Word, scrapbooking, reading, blogging, being active, joining more Connection Groups, or making delicious food. Sometimes I get backed up on my Food Network shows, The Chew (my new favorite show!) and Once Upon a Time that I end up spending hours just catching up.

This year I refuse to waste my day! The shows will be there when I find the time to watch them, and maybe by that time I might not be interested in it anymore. Who knows? My husband and I are contemplating getting rid of our cable altogether to possibly save a little money. However, we're sports fanatics.....so it's an inner-struggle.

*I know this is a lengthy list (I like having options), but I'm committed. And if I can establish at least 2 or 3 of these habits, then I'll call 2012 a success!


What New Year resolutions habits are you aiming for in 2012?


With Love and God Bless,
Brindi

No comments:

Post a Comment