Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Banana Breakfast Shake

Now that the semester has started and I'm back to work, I'm slowly getting my groove back and settling into a routine. After my morning devotional, five Sun-Salutations and a yoga practice, I'm ready for my breakfast. Once I saw the abundance of bananas on our kitchen counter, I knew a banana smoothie was a must.

Pssst... Bananas are a great source of potassium, which is said to play a role in controlling high blood pressure. So eat up!

I love bananas, but I am not a fan of banana-flavored things. I like to eat bananas in their purest forms....blended in smoothies, sliced on top of peanut butter toast, covered in chocolate and then frozen as a quick, satisfying snack, or (every once in a while) in a decadent banana split. I also love to freeze bananas and turn them into "ice cream." But banana bread, pudding, pie...forget about it. Not a fan.

However, this morning I decided to change up my traditional Banana Breakfast Shake. [You can find the original recipe below.] I didn't want to use too many bananas because I have plans for a banana facial this weekend as part of my new self-pampering habit of 2012. Instead, I used one banana and one peach (thankfully, I still had some frozen peaches left over from my freezing obsession this past summer) for this delicious shake. Since I'm currently fasting sweets and sugar, I omitted the vanilla and replaced it with one scoop of vanilla soy protein. And I skipped the honey drizzle. It.Was.Fabulous. Just the thing I needed to jump start my morning.

Oh, and since it was quite cold out, I finished my meal off with a mug of hot tea, Lipton's Lemon Lane. It was strong and delightful.

Banana Breakfast Shake

Serves 1 (or 2 if eating as a mid-day snack)

2 ripe bananas
3/4 c plain, non-fat Greek yogurt
1/2 c skim milk
1/2 tsp vanilla extract

Put all ingredients in a blender, and blend until smooth. Drizzle with honey, if desired. Enjoy!

With Love and God Bless,
Brindi

No comments:

Post a Comment